Certified copies of vital records (Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, and Marriage Certificates) are available at a cost of $10.00 per copy of the same record purchased at the same time. We accept payment online, by mail or in person. Records requested online and by mail are normally processed within 7-10 business days from receipt of payment.
Please be aware that vital records are printed on security paper that is not photocopiable. The word "void" will appear in the background if a photocopies made.
Before sending a request, please feel free to contact us at 978-425-2600 X1 or via e-mail at email@example.com to confirm that we have your record on file.
- We have birth records from the U.S. Army Hospitals on Fort Devens for July 1944 - Jan. 1946 and April 1950 - Nov. 1971.
- Certified copies of Fort Devens births from other years in the 1940's can be obtained from the Ayer Town Clerk's Office - 978-772-8215.
- Certified copies of Fort Devens births from Dec. 1971 to 1979 can be obtained from the Harvard Town Clerk's Office - 978-456-4100 x16.
To receive a certified copy of a vital record by mail, please send the following items to the Town Clerk's office, Attn: Vital Records; 7 Keady Way, Shirley, MA 01464.
- a written request indicating the type of record, the full name (maiden name, if appropriate) of the person the record pertains to, and the date of the event;
- a check or money order made out to the Town of Shirley; and
- a self-addressed stamped return envelope.
If you seek expedited service, you may do so through Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics. There you will find pricing and processing time.
If you are planning a wedding and need to apply for a marriage license, please click here.